Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building color selection

+19
mickyni
JBrowning
cmyslinski
TD
allison
bm455
H.
AlexB
Italia
john
jeanmarlowe
lucky72
davette965
irondude
terrychr
terry
bradham
sswillow
Admin
23 posters

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Building color selection - Page 3 Empty Agree!

Post  bradham Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:51 am

Agree. Love the new colors proposed by Ekim! Let's paint.

bradham

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 3 Empty Re: Building color selection

Post  Admin Fri Mar 13, 2009 1:44 pm

Thanks for the feedback. We are still waiting on the color expert to come up with another option before we give the final blessing. She will also propose a pattern for tweaking the colors from building to building to break things up.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:51 pm

The poll indicates that most people want to keep the same colors. That would seem to indicate the salmon and teal is favored by most people. Updating those colors doesn't mean discarding them; it would only mean a slightly-different shade.

So why even consider any of the browns and tans? Those colors are a dime a dozen in this area, and we'd lose our distinctive Corsican look. Additionally, the browns and tans clash with the gray cobblestones, and they don't look very good with the roofing, either. It would look like we decided to try to make the whole place look like the surrounding complexes but only went halfway.

It would be sort of like taking a lovely Victorian house and putting sheet paneling on the walls and removing the gingerbread. You'd lose the distinctive Victorian look, and it still wouldn't look modern. It would just be ugly.

Our place was built in the '90s; we don't need to make it look like it was built yesterday. Let's keep the gracious-living, Italian look and not try to change the design of something that's already here by goofing around with it.

Everyone who visits me comments on how pretty this place is, and how unusual it is. For myself, every time I drive into the complex, I feel uplifted and cheered by the warm and welcoming colors and the general look. It's a little less so since it was painted the last time with toned-down colors, but it's still very nice.

I really don't want to live in a drab, brown house! Or a drab, tan house or a drab olive-green house!

Helen Woodson

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 20, 2009 9:09 pm

There's another thread about color selection.

link
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 3 Empty Outside paint

Post  cmyslinski Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:34 pm

Although I can't see where to vote. I hate the yellow and brown mud colors. The pink we have now is nice, but if you adjusted it slightly to a a darker shade that would be OK too. Mainly I think just changing the railing/awnings color to green would help a lot. To the left of the yellow color on the building, there is an area that looks light pink on top and a taupe/pink on the bottom and the railing is green. As far as the options #1 and #2, if that's all we have to choose from, then #1 looks a little light and brighter than #2, but they still look plain. When they call this complex Villagio, it makes me think of Italy and the buildings in Italy are often of a terra cotta color. Like a pinkish/rust color. That would be nice too.

cmyslinski

Back to top Go down

Post  cmyslinski Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 pm

I just saw the new pictures posted on Sat. March 21st. That is the updated version of our current colors, and out of all I think it looks the best. Hopefully we still get green awnings and railings. I still don't see where to vote.

cmyslinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:05 am

Thanks for joining and sharing your opinion. The original poll is one of the sticky messages with a color selection- poll title.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:10 pm

Which building is in these pictures, if we want to see it in person?

The pictures don't look at all like the current colors; they look like more earth tones - certainly not pink or salmon. The vast majority on the poll wanted either the original colors or the current colors, perhaps changed slightly, but still *light* and *warm*.

These colors don't look at all like what we have now or the original colors. They look like somewhat warmer browns.

Most of us really like the pink and teal. Can't we stick with that?

I don't know where the idea came from that some colors are outdated and others are not. But everywhere I look in this area, it's brown and tan. It looks like they're trying to camouflage the buildings. Boooring!

Please, let's not fade into the updated majority, trying to fit in by being just like everyone else. Let's stand out with something you don't see ten times a minute. Let's keep our Corsican villa!

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:16 pm

It's the first building on your right when you drive into the complex.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Admin wrote:It's the first building on your right when you drive into the complex.

That would be #450, then, just as I thought.

I'd say it's a very nice shade of brown, sort of a rosy brown. And if you wanted brown, it would be fine. The rest of it - putty and ivory or something - well, that's in the brown family also.

The majority on the poll said they liked the present colors and wanted something like that. And the next-greatest number wanted the original colors, which were even pinker.

What's on #450 is not an update of the present colors; it's a completely different color palette. So why is this even being considered when the great majority have voted they don't want browns?

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:59 pm

The poll you are referring to was done after the initial earth tone samples were painted.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:17 am

Admin wrote:The poll you are referring to was done after the initial earth tone samples were painted.

Is anyone seriously maintaining that this new sample is anything like the current or original colors, or that it's not an earth tone? When I first saw it, I thought it was just like the first earth tone samples. It was only on closer examination that I could detect the difference. And I had to look at it quite a bit to detect the rosiness in the brown. But it's mainly brown, not rose and not pink and certainly not salmon. It's not an update of the current colors; it's completely different.

So tell me - if you wanted to tell someone what color it was, what would you say? Could you describe it without using the word "brown"?

Maybe we need another poll. Some of us - quite a few of us - don't want brown, no matter what shade of brown it is.

If the big concern is "outdated colors", think about this: how's that earth-tone palette going to look in five years? I'll bet that in five years, brown will be "outdated" and something else will be all the rage. Fuschia, perhaps, or chartreuse. Or maybe it will be retro-sixties and seventies, with avocado green, harvest gold, and whatever it was we called that mustard-yellow color. Are we going to try to change the entire look of Villagio every few years, or do we want to stick with what works and what attracted all of us to this complex.

I clearly remember my first reaction to Villagio. It was, "Oh, how beautiful!" And I still feel that way, even though the colors have been toned down to drabber shades. We're not going to get a "Wow!" with the browns. More like "Ho-hum".

Okay, I'm going to try to simmer down now unless I can think of something new to say other than "Not brown!"

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:34 am

Helen Woodson wrote:
Admin wrote:The poll you are referring to was done after the initial earth tone samples were painted.

Is anyone seriously maintaining that this new sample is anything like the current or original colors, or that it's not an earth tone? When I first saw it, I thought it was just like the first earth tone samples. It was only on closer examination that I could detect the difference. And I had to look at it quite a bit to detect the rosiness in the brown. But it's mainly brown, not rose and not pink and certainly not salmon. It's not an update of the current colors; it's completely different.

So tell me - if you wanted to tell someone what color it was, what would you say? Could you describe it without using the word "brown"?

Maybe we need another poll. Some of us - quite a few of us - don't want brown, no matter what shade of brown it is.

If the big concern is "outdated colors", think about this: how's that earth-tone palette going to look in five years? I'll bet that in five years, brown will be "outdated" and something else will be all the rage. Fuschia, perhaps, or chartreuse. Or maybe it will be retro-sixties and seventies, with avocado green, harvest gold, and whatever it was we called that mustard-yellow color. Are we going to try to change the entire look of Villagio every few years, or do we want to stick with what works and what attracted all of us to this complex.

I clearly remember my first reaction to Villagio. It was, "Oh, how beautiful!" And I still feel that way, even though the colors have been toned down to drabber shades. We're not going to get a "Wow!" with the browns. More like "Ho-hum".

Okay, I'm going to try to simmer down now unless I can think of something new to say other than "Not brown!"

Helen

Hi Helen,

We've gone through several iterations of colors and tones. So I can't be 100% sure which one you think I'm trying to defend as current colors, especially since I'm not defending any.

I get that you don't want browns. Noted.

Thank you.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:19 am

Hi, Tom,

I didn't mean to imply you were defending any particular colors. I actually think you've made a valiant effort to be neutral and helpful.

I'm referring to the last batch of pictures on page four of this thread; there are four of them. Just after the pictures, you said this:

The color expert felt that this would be close to what we have but not exactly
the same dated colors, plus be Mediterranean.

I don't think it's right to keep referring to the original or the current colors as "dated colors", or to the brown samples as "updated colors". Why not just name the colors rather than use a pejorative term like this? And if we simply must "update" the current colors, do we absolutely have to "update" them by covering them with - ugh! - brown?

Only 20% voted for browns/earth tones; 2% voted for tan and olive (which are earth tones also). Yet every single sample has been earth tones, in spite of the fact that 34% wanted the original colors and 42% wanted an updated, light and warm, version of the current colors. None of the samples fit that description.

I'd like to suggest two more samples: one of the original colors, and another of some version of the current colors that does not include brown, putty, or any other earth tone.

Then we could take another poll and let the majority rule. If the majority wants brown, I'll live with it. But when the majority wants pink/salmon/rose, then that's what we ought to have.

Fair enough?

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:56 am

Helen Woodson wrote:Hi, Tom,

I didn't mean to imply you were defending any particular colors. I actually think you've made a valiant effort to be neutral and helpful.

I'm referring to the last batch of pictures on page four of this thread; there are four of them. Just after the pictures, you said this:

The color expert felt that this would be close to what we have but not exactly
the same dated colors, plus be Mediterranean.

I don't think it's right to keep referring to the original or the current colors as "dated colors", or to the brown samples as "updated colors". Why not just name the colors rather than use a pejorative term like this? And if we simply must "update" the current colors, do we absolutely have to "update" them by covering them with - ugh! - brown?

Only 20% voted for browns/earth tones; 2% voted for tan and olive (which are earth tones also). Yet every single sample has been earth tones, in spite of the fact that 34% wanted the original colors and 42% wanted an updated, light and warm, version of the current colors. None of the samples fit that description.

I'd like to suggest two more samples: one of the original colors, and another of some version of the current colors that does not include brown, putty, or any other earth tone.

Then we could take another poll and let the majority rule. If the majority wants brown, I'll live with it. But when the majority wants pink/salmon/rose, then that's what we ought to have.

Fair enough?

Helen

Hi Helen,

I'll try to be more mindful of not labeling certain color schemes as old or dated, although I doubt my opinion will sway anyone. In any case, I'll admit that the links that Jean posted make the complex look much better. Perhaps the colors are slightly different now from what they were originally.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not an artist and that's why we have professionals who do this for a living provide us with samples and ideas. We've used the polls to gauge opinion but we won't use it to make the final selection, so I can't promise you that. That being said, I don't love any of the color schemes to the point where I would vote for them without any reservation. That is just me and I can't speak for any of the other board members.

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:28 am

Tom,

I didn't see any links Jean posted. Where are they?

Yes, the colors are different from the original colors; they are pretty toned-down and muddy compared to the original colors, which were quite, well, pink. Or salmon. Anyway, they were light and bright and sunny.

If you're expressing your own opinion, I think it's fine to use any words you like. Just be aware that "outdated" means "I don't like that", and "updated" means "I like this better than what we have now". :-)

You said:
We've used the polls to gauge opinion but we won't use it to make the final selection....

Do you mean that the Board is going to make the decision, and the opinions of the homeowners don't matter? Why not? What does matter in making this decision? And why bother taking a poll if you don't really care what we want?

I feel betrayed.

It's starting to look like a decision has already been made, and it's earth tones and browns. Which explains why the new deck surfaces are tan. So, to borrow a phrase from Henry Ford, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's brown!"

I'd like to remind the Board of one thing: The homeowners elected you to represent them, not to rule over them.

Just out of curiosity, what's the procedure for recalling a Board?

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:30 am

Just so you know, there were a couple of people on the Yahoo! group who hadn't been able to get signed up for this forum so they could vote.

They both said they liked the pink and teal and didn't want browns.

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:38 am

Helen Woodson wrote:Tom,

I didn't see any links Jean posted. Where are they?

Yes, the colors are different from the original colors; they are pretty toned-down and muddy compared to the original colors, which were quite, well, pink. Or salmon. Anyway, they were light and bright and sunny.

If you're expressing your own opinion, I think it's fine to use any words you like. Just be aware that "outdated" means "I don't like that", and "updated" means "I like this better than what we have now". :-)

You said:
We've used the polls to gauge opinion but we won't use it to make the final selection....

Do you mean that the Board is going to make the decision, and the opinions of the homeowners don't matter? Why not? What does matter in making this decision? And why bother taking a poll if you don't really care what we want?

I feel betrayed.

It's starting to look like a decision has already been made, and it's earth tones and browns. Which explains why the new deck surfaces are tan. So, to borrow a phrase from Henry Ford, "You can have any color you want, as long as it's brown!"

I'd like to remind the Board of one thing: The homeowners elected you to represent them, not to rule over them.

Just out of curiosity, what's the procedure for recalling a Board?

Helen

Helen,

I think you're reading too much into it. The board hasn't even made a decision. We did the polls to get a sense of what homeowners like and dislike. However, the board will make the final decision.

I don't think you can recall me but I'm up for re-election soon so you can vote for someone else.

On a separate topic. Did you see the complaint about your flower pots? Could you please remove them from the courtyard?

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  JBrowning Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:44 am

The pink and teal LOOK OLD!!!! I don't want to waste money painting these buildings the same ugly colors. Calling them dated is kind. I don't want our property values to drop by keeping these outdated and old colors from the 1980's. There's a reason other complexes are changing their colors. It's because time has passed and we all need to move forward and not be stuck in the past. If the board wants to keep these colors then they should be removed.

Don't listen to the people trapped in the 80's!!!

JBrowning

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 3 Empty Colors

Post  bradham Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:13 am

JBrowning, Well Stated! The BOD/designer, have given us two choices or color schemes, #1 and #2 as labeled on the corner sample bldg. Just choose one of the two, and move on!

bradham

Back to top Go down

Post  jeanmarlowe Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:29 am

I've been in real estate for 25 years and the pinks that everyone swears are from the 1980s are absolutely not from that time. New home builders are painting their homes with colors that compliment and are related to the design of the buildings, not because someone across the street has painted the apartment complex brown. I have to point this out, trying to look like an apartment complex will definitely bring the property values down. Our complex has been the highest priced complex for many years in San Jose and that is because of where it is located and because of the wow factor from the color scheme. It is unique and pretty. The color shows off the foliage and the layout, as well as the building design. You can ask any other broker, not just me: our units bring in the highest value for the size of the units, just as they are, in these colors.

My experience is with new home builders, not resale, so I do know what I'm talking about when I say that the brown colors are not indicative of new modern homes. The browns will hide the foliage, the colors of the trees etc will seem drab because they have nothing to play against. Elan looks like it is hiding and does not stand out anymore. Once you hide the building then things like the landscaping will start to be deemed not necessary because you can't see it.

If you go into the hills of Los Gatos and Saratoga, look at the brand new mansions - every one of them uses light pinks to follow the Italian design. Go to Silver Creek, same thing. Our buildings were designed along the same lines and it will look inappropriate to have one design with another color scheme that doesn't follow - that will bring property values down.

The colors of Villagio stand out and are remembered by real estate agents when looking for a home for their client. Homes here don't sit on the market very long because Villagio stands out in their minds and is thought of first - very important when it comes to resale. This won't happen if Villagio looks like all the other places, lost in the unspectacular browns. As a homeowner, I always want my home to retain its highest possible value and so far the pinks have been working for us. I've never heard an agent describe these units as ugly or outdated. They sell units here because they stand out and shine - people want to live here because of the color. They could go across the street and buy something bigger, but they chose to come here because of the design and color.

I think we should be able to have a discussion here about the colors with people making persuasive arguments - not threats. Really, it's starting to sound like a bunch of sorority girls fighting over what color their new jackets should be.

jeanmarlowe

http://www.jeanmarlowe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  JBrowning Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:16 pm

I'm in Los Gatos, Saratoga and Woodside very often and I've never seen a home with the pink and teal shade we have. Painting the same colors will REDUCE our property values. Standing out from the 1980's is not a good thing.

JBrowning

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:39 pm

So let's not get too argumentative. I appreciate everyone giving their opinion but as you can see this is a no win situation for the board. We are not going to please everyone, no matter what we do.

What I can tell you is that we are taking this very seriously. We have asked and listened to opinions from residents. We have gone through several different iterations of colors and continue to evaluate more.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  jeanmarlowe Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:07 pm

JBrowning wrote:I'm in Los Gatos, Saratoga and Woodside very often and I've never seen a home with the pink and teal shade we have. Painting the same colors will REDUCE our property values. Standing out from the 1980's is not a good thing.

The market disagrees with you on the effect of the pinks on our property values. If anything, it points to these colors as a success and the fact that home builders are choosing these colors now for communities like Silver Creek, points to it being contemporary, not dated. All the the top tier, luxury home builders, like Robson Homes, Shea Homes, SummerHill Homes, etc., use pinks - they are all using light colors because it shows off the architecture and landscaping. Even Santana Row used pinks. The colors have not and will not reduce our properties values - this is a proven fact.

Clarification: I said that they used the "light pinks" not the exact "pink and teal shade we have." I do believe the teal needs to be refined - it lacks depth. The light green color suggested as a replacement is too light in color - it is hardly an accent and ends up fading away into the background. The green should be stronger in color - that is the point of an accent color. There was talks of using black, but we never saw that as an option. I think black or dark grey would look very nice on the railings. On the awnings, however, it would show dust and pollen.

jeanmarlowe

Back to top Go down

Post  jeanmarlowe Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:16 pm

Admin wrote:So let's not get too argumentative. I appreciate everyone giving their opinion but as you can see this is a no win situation for the board. We are not going to please everyone, no matter what we do.

What I can tell you is that we are taking this very seriously. We have asked and listened to opinions from residents. We have gone through several different iterations of colors and continue to evaluate more.

I, for one, appreciate the fact that the board is soliciting opinions. I understand that the decision is ultimately yours and will accept it. Until that decision is made, I will continue to champion for what I think are the best colors for the complex. If new colors are presented and I like them better, I'll vote for them.

jeanmarlowe

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next