Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building color selection

+19
mickyni
JBrowning
cmyslinski
TD
allison
bm455
H.
AlexB
Italia
john
jeanmarlowe
lucky72
davette965
irondude
terrychr
terry
bradham
sswillow
Admin
23 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty please keep the original colors

Post  john Sat Feb 21, 2009 11:55 pm

The existing color scheme enhances Villagio's Mediterranean villa feel quite well, so please keep that. None of the new color combo looks as sharp as the original ones. The green awning is an integral part of the color scheme and the architecture, so please keep that as well. Since 92 I believe there was only one repaint, right? To my untrained eyes, the repaint colors(today's colors) were very close to the original ones. I don't recall back in 92 different buildings had different cues, I think it was probably just the sun hitting the various corners of each building, and the same 3-4 colors looked brilliantly different among the buildings to the naked eyes. Please note that what works for Elan may not work for us. For one, Elan is a multi-story flat-face structure, so it does need the wide arrays of colors to stand out. Each building in Villagio was modeled like a Mediterranean villa courtyard, so just a few vibrant colors are sufficient.

So fellow Village residents, let's keep our Italian oasis alive!!!

My 2 cents worth.
- John

john

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Please keep orginal clorors

Post  terry Sun Feb 22, 2009 3:30 pm

I’ve taken a look at the new colors while they are tolerable they really do not maintain the original Mediterranean look and feel that really separates our complex from the others. It may just be the samples? As an original owner I too preferred Shea original colors and color variation between buildings. Shea’s original color scheme intent coordinated the building color with the stone in the courtyard. The building with the gray stone courtyards had the pink and teal combination and the building with the lighter sandier color courtyard stone had more of a sandy and a green tone awing and railing. This awnings were either replaced or color changed during the previous painting. I will see if I can find old pictures as well.

terry

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Re: Building color selection

Post  Admin Mon Feb 23, 2009 12:56 pm

Thanks for the feedback.

Late last week the painter (Ekim) tried another combination of colors. I was away this weekend and haven't taken a close look but I'll take some pictures today.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty For the Board and color committe (Jerry)

Post  Italia Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:24 pm

Hello,
I think the end corner unit with toned down pale gold and brown accents looks fantastic. If not too late I would LOVE to be on the color committee as not only an artist but as a graphic design manager for over 13 years. I know a lot about color and composition as that is a very big part of my job.

The board is elected by the homeowners to make these types of decisons and the fact there is a color committee further demonstrates the decision should NOT be opened up to the entire homeowner group for a vote. That is not how HOA's are run for very good reason. If we are to make a timely final decision and get the painting started soon, I sincerely hope the board and color committee will be the ones to make the final decision so we don't end up with a long drawn out conflict delaying the paint job. You can't make everyone happy.

I don't think the new option of repainting the place the same very outdated colors or even one of those colors is a good idea, in fact it is so outdated, it would bring DOWN the value of our property in my opinion.
I learned that using the same base color as one example was due to just 3 non-board members asking for it. THis is what I mean by opening it up and causing a delay. I would not recommend any further color examples as this could go on indefinatley. Hopefully those in charge of the decision - the color team will make the correct decision and soon. From what I have heard in walking most days around the comples for exercise has been very positive for the end corner unit color combo of pale gold and browns.
Respectfully
Deborah Hill
475 Milan

Italia

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Teal awnings should NOT be the determining factor for an updated color scheme

Post  Italia Mon Feb 23, 2009 6:35 pm

Keeping this complex looking current is important for resale value. THe teal color and awnings are were popular around 1980 and do just the opposite in terms of resale value, it looks very outdated.

Since they are purely decorative and do not provide any privacy whatsoever, replacement would likely be too costly and since they will not go with a new more earth toned updated color scheme I would think taking them down would be a decent compromise. I doubt we can afford new ones within a new color scheme. The awnings should NOT be the determining factor in our new more current color scheme.

Regards,
Deborah

Italia

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty AWNINGS

Post  bradham Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:14 pm

THEY CAN PAINT THEM!! (talked with Mark-Supervisor) Taking Them down IS NOT A COMPROMISE!! That is called ALL or Nothing! PLUS, the Roof will not be painted so they can be painted to match whichever colors are decided upon. AND, the canopies PROVIDE DECOR and SHADE!! They are not designed for privacy.
I am NOT the only OWNER, who wants them to remain. Thanks..

bradham

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Mon Feb 23, 2009 8:33 pm

Let me give a little more detail around the awnings.

There are 3 ways we can handle the awnings.

1. Remove and discard them - Ekim can do this. It would involve patching the holes left behind. An inexpensive option with no potential issues down the road. However, I understand some residents won't be happy.

2. Paint the current awnings - This process means that the awnings would be painted without taking them off and would not cost additional $. However, the paint color will fade quicker than the buildings. Villagio has a plan to repaint every 10 years I believe. Ekim does not think that the paint on the awnings will last longer than 5 years (It will begin to fade and dull). How good or bad they will look in 5 years is anyone's guess. If we paint it now and decide to remove it 5 years from now because the color has faded too much there will/may be tan paint behind the awning that is visible. Which will need to be addressed and will cost $. Another option may be to repaint them in 5 years, which will cost $.

3. Reupholster the awnings - This would entail removing the frames letting the painters paint behind the frames. While another vendor reupholsters the awning with new cloth. This is the most expensive option but still possible. The awning will last longer than painting. The final cost is still TBD.

Just more information for all to noodle on...
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  sswillow Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:35 am

I too have been working in the creative field as an art director/graphic designer for over 15 years. I don't agree that the new selections are that much better, but we all know color is very subjective. We will all have strong opinions whether we are artists or not. I really can't see a rich gold working with the gray stone courtyards and the dark brown seems so dreary. The center selection was okay, pretty neutral, I could live with that. The selection on the left had some possibilities, the green was a little too olive for my tastes, but interesting. Maybe a green that shade with some more blue in it would be nicer.

I would really still like to see a non-brown base variation. Mediterranean architecture very often includes red tiled roofs which really lend themselves to warm, rich colors like golds and deep browns. I think our gray and peach stone courtyards are on the cooler side and we really need to consider that along with our roof. If we are really going towards earthy browns, I can see medium to light browns and beiges with pink or peach tones which is what I see in that in the center selection.

The accent color we choose is also really important as it appears on the awning, top of chimney, gates, handrails, light fixtures, etc. Are there accent suggestions that the painter is giving to go with the current selections?

I am interested to know how the final decision will be made, will it be a vote or a committee decision?

I googled "Italian villas" for the heck of it. The majority of images tend to have a lighter main body. (I like how George Clooney is included in the results!)
http://images.google.com/images?q=italian%20villa&oe=utf-8&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&client=firefox-a&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

sswillow

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty New colors- Contact the builder

Post  terry Tue Feb 24, 2009 2:51 am

Color is and always will be subjective. Depending on the color we chose our home values may be effected. Why not contact the experts, the builder Shea Homes. Shea is building two new condo communities in the bay area, one in Mountain View one in Santa Clara. The one in Mt. View has a Mediterranean look and feel, the one in Santa Clara a more contemporary look. Either the painter can review the colors or Shea Homes may share their color choices or offer a suggestion. Shea is the builder and while no longer active in the HOA it is in their best interest to have one their properties they developed look good.

terry

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty New Shea Home color example

Post  irondude Tue Feb 24, 2009 3:08 am

There is a URL for the new Shea home project in Mountain View. http://www.sheahomes.com/main.cfm?dir=findahome&subsec=overview&temp=communityoverview&communityid=570
I like the colors. They are subtle, similar to Parkside. One of the features I like about Parkside is that the buildings are slightly different colors, which visually breaks things up.

I checked through my old photos and only have pictures of the original models and my building still being framed. In the picture, the models are the only units completed. Unfortunately, that doesn't help much.

Dave

irondude

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Feb 24, 2009 6:47 pm

I'm sure some of you have seen the latest samples. If not, here are some pictures.

The updated earth tone.
Building color selection - Page 2 480005971_wYtA4-XL

It was an overcast day when i took these pictures, so the colors don't show up right. I think the olive them has potential but is just not right. The iron railing needs to be another color. Not sure why they painted it the same.

Building color selection - Page 2 480008692_xTo6k-XL

Here are the foundation colors side by side.

Building color selection - Page 2 480007003_WTqiA-MBuilding color selection - Page 2 480006478_FXAT4-MBuilding color selection - Page 2 480006765_pjKfv-MBuilding color selection - Page 2 480007232_yDtsS-MBuilding color selection - Page 2 480007451_xiPKd-M

Last edited by Admin on Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty fresh paint in original colors

Post  john Wed Feb 25, 2009 2:31 am

IMO the current colors can look a lot more vibrant if they are freshly painted(and good-quality). I tend to think light, natural/warm colors would look fresher and more cheerful for longer period of time, when compared to dark brown and/or earth-tone yellow. The white colors looks good when new, but it may look dirty and dull in a few years. And for the awnings, I remember last time the assemblies were taken down and refinished, and new canvas was mounted. I wonder how good fresh paint would look and last on the fabric, so I would suggest to just follow what was done last time, color matched to the new paint color. The awnings serve to break the vertical lines of the walls, and distinguish the 2nd and 3rd stories. When the awnings were removed last time, the buildings looked really funny, as if they lost their eyebrows.Smile

By the way, each of the test walls at 450 was painted differently, I assume the final run is to paint all units in the same color scheme, right?

My 2 cents continued.

- John

john

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Colors and choices

Post  AlexB Wed Feb 25, 2009 12:51 pm

The ideas so far have all been helpful, and it would be useful to see what Shea has to say - that is a really good suggestion.

From some of the discussions, it sounds more like we are asking people to come to us with color choices, so it is not surprising that we get suggestions that look like everything else out there today. If we want to distinguish ourselves, and I think we do, then I agree with those that say we shouldn't just look like everyone else in the neighborhood. I think we can still stay with the Mediterranean (I love spellchecker features!) look, but change the color scheme, if we wish. I do think we should take into account the green of the roof and courtyard colors, as the graphics designer(s) mentioned.

Shouldn't we be directing the painters towards colors, and not the other way around?

The main features I see in the Mediterranean pictures are that the job looks like it was done with more care and attention to detail - each raised/changed window/door area has a contrasting color, even if it isn't a large contrast. Where our paint samples do this, it looks amazing. For those that are worried about how it affect our sales prices, take a look at this. I think you'll find it really makes a difference. To me, it says "we care about the details and maintenance of our home and community" almost as much as the color choice.

As a contrast, if you go into the courtyard where I live (465), for example, you'll see areas where the paint was thinner from last time and areas where it still looks OK. You'll also see how it will look like one giant wall if the awnings are removed and how the areas around the windows will look darker/dirtier over time anyway - so we might as well paint them a little darker...

Here's my color 2c worth:
One of the reasons I purchased here was the lighter, more cheerful colors (8 months ago), even though I'm not a big teal fan - must be some childhood phobia in there somewhere - the other colors would certainly look better after a paint job as people point out, but I'm not attached to them.

I do like that the lighter combinations, but think a brighter color on the awnings and railings would contrast nicely with the other colors. It also seems to match more what I've seen in the Mediterranean pictures people have shown me in the past. It keeps the current look, but doesn't mean we have to fixate on the past.

Don't ask me to help choose a 'brighter' color, though, as I was the guy standing out with a riotous blend of colors in his tea mug - I've also had people challenge my color sensibility...

I do like the direction the lighter paint colors are going in the latest samples, and I think they look better in person, so I encourage everyone to go look at them. I'm not a big olive-green fan, but then there are hundreds of shades to pick from, and the greens I like are probably not good picks anyway.

My only plea is to keep the garage door frame a light contrast to the darker surroundings. As anyone who has watched me try to back in knows, it is really important that I have those vertical lines ... not that it helps reduce the number of tries some nights ...

Alex

P.S. Shouldn't we keep painting new areas each time? That way, if we never decide we'll eventually get the whole complex painted anyway - sort of San Francisco style...

AlexB

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:28 pm

Thanks for all the feedback!

My personal opinion is starting to change about the awnings and colors. I've begun handing out cards in the complex to recruit more people to join the forum and give their opinion. I've also been stopping people in the courtyards and streets and asking for their opinion. It seems there are 3 camps.

1. People who want the earth tones so they match the other complexes and believe that these colors make the complex more contemporary. These people feel very strongly that the pink and teal colors are completely outdated.

2. People who want the original colors, who believe that these colors make the place cheerful and make the place look Mediterranean and hate the browns.

3. People who want Villagio to remain Mediterranean-like but without the current pink and teal. These people want lighter colors, close to pink but a different tone and the teal into a shade of green that would contrast nicely and match the roofs.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:48 pm

I'm going to start a new poll, so please vote.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Building Color Selection

Post  H. Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:25 pm

I've been here since 1996. I *loved* the original colors. It looked so Mediterranean and peaceful, yet cheerful. Mostly peaceful and beautiful. And it looked rich and understated. The present colors are okay, too, although they are drab compared to the original colors.

The colors in the pictures are just ugly. Who wants to live in a building the color of mud? Also, it would clash with the stones in the courtyards.

I live on the lower level, and I really like the awnings. They are so pretty with the balcony railings and make a nice contrast to the salmon of the building, and they shade the windows so the sun doesn't glare so much on a bright day.

The entire effect is so tranquil that I leave my shades open nearly all the time just so that I can see it. Everyone who comes to visit remarks on how nice everything looks.

I can't imagine that the colors are "outdated" - whatever that means - or that they'd lower the property values. Seems to me that looking pretty much like every other complex would lower the values. Ours is different as well as being attractive. It reminds me a little of San Francisco, which always gives me a little thrill when I see all the pastels.

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  bm455 Wed Feb 25, 2009 5:39 pm

I definitely don't like the new selection. I'd prefer we use the same colors (even the rose and teal) as it matches better the italian villa feel.
Sad

Please don't change it.
By reading the notes on this topic, it seems that the majority would prefer to keep the original colors. Should be cast a vote?

bm455

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:55 pm

Oh, these pictures of the test-paint are sooooo ugly! :-(( Especially the third one, which shows part of the next unit in the lovely pink/salmon colors. The muddy-brown/mustard yellow unit looks cheap for some reason.

Let's go back to the original colors, please! If you look at the poll, that got as many votes as anything else.

About the awnings - they do provide a very nice shade; and when it rains, it makes a wonderful sound. I just wish the upstairs units had them, too.

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:17 pm

For those of you who prefer the current pink and teal, I may have another option that might be a good compromise. They are light and warm and very Tuscan like.

As I was handing out the cards with the forum address, I showed it to any homeowner who would talk to me. Laughing Every one of them liked it.

If you'd like to see it I can be available tomorrow at 5:30pm in front of the painted buildings.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lucky72 Thu Feb 26, 2009 5:00 pm

We need to update the colors. Pink/teal - No These are SO VERY outdated! I agree alot with Deborah's input. We need a facelift and a lighter nice neutral color palet would look great. The pictures also don't do the colors justice, so you have to take a look yourself and not rely on what you see in the pictures. The lighter neutral colors are much more pleasing to the eye. It would make our complex stand out and still give it that warm welcoming feeling. As for the awnings, I've never really noticed them (except that awful teal color), so if they were removed I really wouldn't mind, not to mention, it would save a bundle! Just my 2 cents.

lucky72

Back to top Go down

Post  allison Thu Feb 26, 2009 11:37 pm

Please play around more with the earth tones. We do not want a pink and teal building anymore. It looks tired and outdated. Has anyone besides the board ever thought that new colors just might increase the value of our homes? Probably not! And for the people that think the brown would be depressing, that is not so. Just think that trees and flowers may POP the buildings and it would freshen up our homes. All I am going to say is NO to PINK and TEAL!!!!

allison

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Window Awnings

Post  TD Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:06 am

Window awnings can reduce solar heat gain in the summer by up to 65% on south-facing windows and 77% on west-facing windows. A light-colored awning does double duty by also reflecting sunlight. Given a choice I personally would consider my energy bill before I removed the awnings. I also remember when the awnings were removed for the last paint job, a site for sore eyes.

TD

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty Lowering our Home Ownership Expenses and GARAGE DOOR COMPANY

Post  bradham Fri Feb 27, 2009 2:25 am

TD, Well stated! Thank You for looking at ways to Lower our home expenses! Much of the time we focus too much on 'how much things cost', instead of the practical money and expense Savings that would occur, with keeping our awnings. Much Apprciation.****

ALSO- Met a gentleman, Andy from America's Choice, of San Jose. http://www.justgaragedoors.com/san_jose.htm. A GARAGE DOOR COMPANY.
He was installing a Lift Master (which is what I have), in a one car, oversized to fit three vehicles, garage.
The company is familiar with the location ( mounted on the side) of the motorized garage box and its installation.

bradham

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty new pictures

Post  Admin Fri Mar 06, 2009 9:06 pm

How many folks have seen the new color scheme proposed by the color expert at Ekim?

here are some pics...

Building color selection - Page 2 486316336_UfRoU-XL

Building color selection - Page 2 486316238_ni65C-XL

Building color selection - Page 2 486316123_83AKo-XL

Building color selection - Page 2 486316042_SvjKf-XL

The color expert felt that this would be close to what we have but not exactly the same dated colors, plus be Mediterranean.

What are your thoughts?
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Building color selection - Page 2 Empty New colors/awnings

Post  terrychr Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:28 pm

Love them! Let's paint.

terrychr

Back to top Go down