Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll

+18
Yasser
mickyni
amun
irondude
marcelleqb
H.
JBrowning
Martinr
trebor
wazotinker
jeanmarlowe
Ionescu
cmyslinski
terrychr
terry
john
nardin
Admin
22 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Are we going down the right path with these colors (I understand the shades may be tweaked)

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap58%New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 58% 
[ 18 ]
New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Vote_lcap42%New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Vote_rcap 42% 
[ 13 ]

Total Votes : 31

Poll closed

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty Paint

Post  trebor Thu Apr 09, 2009 11:47 am

I voted no because I mostly agree with Jean Marlowe that overall the colors seem dull. Our existing color scheme has dulled or faded over time and has accumulated a dirt film (that power washing may bring out some of the color we originally had for comparison). Again, I like the whiter of whites for the upper walls and the blue accent for awnings and railings but the blue is dull especially if you compare to some of the awnings that are in pretty good shape. I know this is not an easy task I appreciate the effort being made to hopefully reach a consensus on final color choice.

Trebor

PS Tom, here's the source I mentioned for pool furniture: The Complete Backyard - ((408) 748-8100 - 1600 Duane Ave, Santa Clara, CA
trebor
trebor

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty Re: New color choices for building painting - includes new poll

Post  Admin Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:28 pm

Martinr wrote:Will the doors/garage doors be getting new paint too? If so, any directions on color for those?

Sorry I missed this question.

The front doors and garage doors will both be painted. Most likely it will be the lightest shade of the color scheme we pick, so the doors stand out a bit.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty Re: New color choices for building painting - includes new poll

Post  Admin Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:29 pm

trebor wrote:PS Tom, here's the source I mentioned for pool furniture: The Complete Backyard - ((408) 748-8100 - 1600 Duane Ave, Santa Clara, CA

Thanks! I'll try to check it out tomorrow.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Martinr Mon Apr 13, 2009 12:02 am

Admin wrote:
Martinr wrote:Will the doors/garage doors be getting new paint too? If so, any directions on color for those?

Sorry I missed this question.

The front doors and garage doors will both be painted. Most likely it will be the lightest shade of the color scheme we pick, so the doors stand out a bit.
Thanks Tom. I'll keep checking out the test buildings for whatever the next step may be.

Martinr

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:33 am

Hi, Tom,

I'm a little confused. You said earlier that the poll results wouldn't be a deciding factor (or something like that) and that the polls were to get a feel for the opinions of the homeowners.

So what is the decision to be based upon, if not the desires of the members? Is it to be based upon the likes and dislikes of a color consultant, the color committee, the board - or something else entirely? And who is on the color committee, and how were they selected?

I've noticed that, even though the great majority in the poll voted for either the original colors or something like what we have now, neither seems to be under consideration. None of the samples we've seen have been anything like either the original or the current colors.

So I'm wondering why the opinions of the majority who voted in the poll are not one of the options on the table.

This is why I made that not-entirely tongue-in-cheek crack asking about the process for recalling board member(s). We elected you guys to represent us, not to rule over us. If our desires are not a huge factor in such an important decision, one that will affect us every day, I think it's safe to say we're not being represented very well.

So if you can tell us the basis for the decision, why it's not the desires of the homeowners, and who is on the color committee and why, maybe some of this sturm und drang can be avoided.

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty new deck color an indication of how the colors will show "dirt"

Post  jeanmarlowe Tue Apr 14, 2009 12:48 pm

Has anyone noticed how the tan deck really show up dirt and pollen? Mine has spots of green and black/brown and looks really dirty in areas where the pollen has settled/mixed with rain. If this is any indication, I'm afraid that tans will really show the green pollen and dirt from all the construction going up in our areas. This wasn't so noticeable before with the colors we had.

Also, did the awnings get painted a lighter shade recently or did the rain wash out the paint?

jeanmarlowe

http://www.jeanmarlowe.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 15, 2009 2:35 pm

Helen Woodson wrote:Hi, Tom,

I'm a little confused. You said earlier that the poll results wouldn't be a deciding factor (or something like that) and that the polls were to get a feel for the opinions of the homeowners.

So what is the decision to be based upon, if not the desires of the members? Is it to be based upon the likes and dislikes of a color consultant, the color committee, the board - or something else entirely? And who is on the color committee, and how were they selected?

I've noticed that, even though the great majority in the poll voted for either the original colors or something like what we have now, neither seems to be under consideration. None of the samples we've seen have been anything like either the original or the current colors.

So I'm wondering why the opinions of the majority who voted in the poll are not one of the options on the table.

This is why I made that not-entirely tongue-in-cheek crack asking about the process for recalling board member(s). We elected you guys to represent us, not to rule over us. If our desires are not a huge factor in such an important decision, one that will affect us every day, I think it's safe to say we're not being represented very well.

So if you can tell us the basis for the decision, why it's not the desires of the homeowners, and who is on the color committee and why, maybe some of this sturm und drang can be avoided.

Helen

Hi Helen,

I'm on vacation and my wife is nagging me so I'll keep this brief.

I can't speak for the rest of the board but I will make my decision based on what I feel is best for the complex. While some homeowners want to keep the exact same colors, others do not. I don't think my decision is a matter of me ruling over anyone. I'm just a homeowner like everyone else who wants the best for the complex.

There will be a board meeting tomorrow that i will not be able to make. I suggest homeowners who can attend do so and express their opinion on the color situation. There should be notices on the buildings by the mailboxes with the details of the meeting. I assume its at Premiere Pizza at 6pm.

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  nardin Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:15 am

Helen Woodson wrote:Hi, Tom,

Helen

I voted to for similar light colors but not the same as what we have. I feel the board has done just that. I think people need to stop whining just because they don't like the colors. I personally feel the current colors are old and dated now and that the latest colors look good. So in my opinion the board IS REPRESENTING US.

nardin

Back to top Go down

Post  JBrowning Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:54 am

Can i make a suggestion that those who voted for the latest colors make themselves heard. It seems the squeaky wheel gets the oil and I don't want the one or two people on this forum to steer the painting committee into leaving the old colors.

Let me say this again...The OLD UGLY colors are unacceptable.

JBrowning

Back to top Go down

Post  terrychr Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:23 am

here, here

change is good!!

terrychr

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty new colors not so pretty

Post  marcelleqb Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:07 pm

I used to live in Tucson (8 yrs) and I've seen houses painted in the exact color scheme that is presently being shown. The homeowners painted them drab tans and dull whites so that they would not show dirt. What ended up happening is that these homes were over looked and priced for less than those homes that were painted brighter tints. These colors don't look fresh or new and won't wear well as you think. And they look terrible with the roof color.

What I like about the old colors is that it looks like a cherry blossom - very pretty. And the green from the trees compliment the buildings nicely. I'm not crazy about the teal - I think it would be nicer if it were green. The green suggested before didn't pop out enough for me and could have been tweaked some more. I don't think the colors have to be exactly like they were originally - I would expect a modern, sophisticated take on them. The original shades work better with the roof and look more like shades of copper, from new to old and blend nicely together while not disappearing. The new color kind of clashes with the roof. Why not tweak the original colors to even lighter tints? This new yellow direction is a bit drastic and completely off point.

For what it's worth, I've worked with color for over twenty years. Art galleries in New York City, Seattle and Tucson. I've worked on movie sets for the last 6 years - including props, location scout and set designing. I've done time in the fashion industry and in interior design as well. So I know my colors and can't support the current suggestion.

marcelleqb

Back to top Go down

Post  marcelleqb Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:54 pm

Admin wrote:

There will be a board meeting tomorrow that i will not be able to make. I suggest homeowners who can attend do so and express their opinion on the color situation. There should be notices on the buildings by the mailboxes with the details of the meeting. I assume its at Premiere Pizza at 6pm.

Take care,
Tom

If there is a meeting today, then why is there no notice informing everyone of this fact? I have never received a notice, not from the board or Peachtree letting me know about this meeting.

marcelleqb

Back to top Go down

Post  JBrowning Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:48 pm

marcelleqb wrote:I used to live in Tucson (8 yrs) and I've seen houses painted in the exact color scheme that is presently being shown. The homeowners painted them drab tans and dull whites so that they would not show dirt. What ended up happening is that these homes were over looked and priced for less than those homes that were painted brighter tints. These colors don't look fresh or new and won't wear well as you think. And they look terrible with the roof color.

What I like about the old colors is that it looks like a cherry blossom - very pretty. And the green from the trees compliment the buildings nicely. I'm not crazy about the teal - I think it would be nicer if it were green. The green suggested before didn't pop out enough for me and could have been tweaked some more. I don't think the colors have to be exactly like they were originally - I would expect a modern, sophisticated take on them. The original shades work better with the roof and look more like shades of copper, from new to old and blend nicely together while not disappearing. The new color kind of clashes with the roof. Why not tweak the original colors to even lighter tints? This new yellow direction is a bit drastic and completely off point.

For what it's worth, I've worked with color for over twenty years. Art galleries in New York City, Seattle and Tucson. I've worked on movie sets for the last 6 years - including props, location scout and set designing. I've done time in the fashion industry and in interior design as well. So I know my colors and can't support the current suggestion.

Really? You worked in those industries and now you're in San Jose? Web anonymity is great, anyone can be anything.

JBrowning

Back to top Go down

Post  marcelleqb Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:02 pm

JBrowning,

Your sarcasm is wasted on me and it just makes you look childish when you call people names and try to belittle them for having a different opinion than you. To imply that I am lying because you do not know who I am is immature.

marcelleqb

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:08 pm

Hi folks,

So a couple of things.

First, please keep the conversations on the topic and not start flame wars. This painting topic is getting a little heated. I'd prefer not to ban people or delete postings because then I'll be accused of heavy handedness or squelching free speech. PLEASE keep it civil.

Second, normally the board meets every second Thursday of the month at 6pm (Usually at Premier Pizza). We couldn't meet last week and the meeting was rescheduled for today, which I have confirmed with peachtree. Not sure why the notice wasn't posted but they usually are above the mailboxes.

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty I prefer the old colors but appreciate the boards efforts so far

Post  irondude Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:17 am

I still prefer the old colors, but the new ones are getting closer to an acceptable choice. I noticed in bright sunlight, that the green color on the lower part of the building looks a little washed out and does not provide enough contrast against the lighter color on the main section of the building. If we continue down the current color path, I think the bottom color should be a little darker to provide more contrast. It seems a little bland to me at the moment.

Thanks to the board for all of your effort on this project so far.

Dave

irondude

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:57 pm

irondude wrote:I still prefer the old colors, but the new ones are getting closer to an acceptable choice. I noticed in bright sunlight, that the green color on the lower part of the building looks a little washed out and does not provide enough contrast against the lighter color on the main section of the building. If we continue down the current color path, I think the bottom color should be a little darker to provide more contrast. It seems a little bland to me at the moment.

Thanks to the board for all of your effort on this project so far.

Dave

Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback!

I actually made it back home in time for the board meeting last night and can give a bit more insight. We had a few homeowners attend the meeting and provide some thoughts which included other options for colors and a vertical painting scheme so each unit has its own look. The board discussed these ideas and we're leaning towards working with the latest colors but tweaking them further to come up with a better compromise. I think we share your thoughts about the lower base section be a bit darker or at least contrast more. One of the options is to add a fourth color to the scheme. We plan to meet with the color consultant again next week. In the mean time, I'm going to work with Marcelle on some options that are a bit lighter like what Jean Marlowe suggested. The old colors are still on the table but since we know what they look like, we're not asking the painter to paint a section with it. Apparently he's getting annoyed at us with the amount of swatches he's already painted (its come out of his pocket).

So the short version is...we're still working on the alternate scheme trying to improve it. We need to make a decision by the end of this month based on the deadline in the agreement and the painting will start in early May.

Please keep the thoughts coming. The other board members are reading these posts also, so it's not just me who hears you.

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ionescu Mon Apr 20, 2009 12:32 pm

If you're still taking suggestions, I'd like to add to it. Overall I think you're heading in the right direction. My preference would be a brighter shade for the main color and a darker color for the lower base. I think the blue has potential but needs to be brighter in order to stand out.

Thanks for taking the input.

Ionescu

Back to top Go down

Post  amun Mon Apr 20, 2009 4:42 pm

Ionescu wrote:If you're still taking suggestions, I'd like to add to it. Overall I think you're heading in the right direction. My preference would be a brighter shade for the main color and a darker color for the lower base. I think the blue has potential but needs to be brighter in order to stand out.

Thanks for taking the input.

I'm inclined to agree with this suggestion.

amun

Back to top Go down

Post  cmyslinski Tue Apr 21, 2009 11:40 am

Although I like the pink colors we've had, the new colors would be Ok only if the rainings, awnings, and light fixtures matched the roof in green. Otherwise, when the building sample had the lower part painted in green and the upper in a yellow, I thought that looked nice too, but I think that's off the options now.

cmyslinski

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Tue Apr 21, 2009 1:43 pm

thanks for the feedback!

I think your suggestions are shared with the board members also. I know a couple of them made the comment about using a green as the accent to tie the roofs better. While I agree with that and wouldn't be too opposed, my preference is for a shade of blue that would pop more and tie the slate courtyards. It wouldn't clash with the roof but would compliment the slate better. In either case it wouldn't be a deal breaker for me.

Take care,
Tom
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:14 pm

nardin wrote:

I voted to for similar light colors but not the same as what we have. I feel the board has done just that. I think people need to stop whining just because they don't like the colors. I personally feel the current colors are old and dated now and that the latest colors look good. So in my opinion the board IS REPRESENTING US.

The vast majority in the first poll voted for either the original colors or some flavor of the current colors. Instead, we were offered various browns and earth tones, and it appears that what the majority said they wanted is not even being considered.

How does this translate to representation?

Tom has said his decisions will be based on what he feels is best for us (rather than what we want).

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down

Post  nardin Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:22 pm

With the board taking the time for all homeowners to provide their opinion and then change their initial ideas is a sign they are listening and representing the majority. We elected these individuals to make the decisions on behalf of the HOA. They make their decisions based on what they feel is best on all matters even those that are mundane and we never hear about. If someone doesn't like the decisions they have made then they should attend the board meetings and perhaps even run for a board position.

As you can tell, I don't feel that I am being ruled over. In fact, compared to other complexes I have lived in, this is more open and engaging than any other.

nardin

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Wed Apr 22, 2009 8:04 pm

Hi,

So am I Hugo Chavez now?? Very Happy

In all seriousness, am I not allowed to have an opinion? If I was completely out of touch with what the majority wanted then I certainly wouldn't press ahead with my opinion but the poll Helen keeps referring to had a majority wanting change. Now, we're just trying to find an alternate color combination and a majority seem to like the current option.

That being said Marcelle did some photoshop work with the current option on the rest of the building with some different shading and I must admit the colors look dull. Glad I saw this before the meeting with the color consultant.
Admin
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

New color choices for building painting - includes new poll - Page 2 Empty Thanks

Post  mickyni Wed Apr 22, 2009 9:15 pm

Thanks Tom!!! You doing a good job for the community , I appreciate your efforts !!! Laughing

mickyni

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next