Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards

+2
Admin
TD
6 posters

Go down

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards Empty Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards

Post  TD Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:52 am

This morning while walking my dog, I noticed several cars with either the doors or trunk open. This has happen the past. I checked my car parked inside the courtyard and sure enough the contents of the glove compartment were cleared out. This is the 2nd time my car was broken into in the courtyard I want to remind eeveryone to please keep thier car doors lock and not to leave any valuables inside. I have filed a police report again.

While there may be a connection or not, I see an increase in dumpster diving. There is a group that travels the complex at all hours and days on bikes, seems to be a trend of people leaving there unwanted items at the trash bins with signs marked for free. I encourage people to stop doing this and go to good will. Lets do what little we can to protect our neighborhood.

TD

Back to top Go down

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards Empty Re: Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards

Post  Admin Wed Jul 18, 2012 11:48 am

Thanks for bringing this up to everyone's attention. Where in the complex did this happen?
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards Empty Re: Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards

Post  TD Thu Jul 19, 2012 1:10 am

My car was in 445 milan courtyard. 2 cars in front of 445 had doors open as well as a car in the front of 475.

TD

Back to top Go down

Post  mmand2 Thu Jul 19, 2012 6:21 pm

Very concerning. There was an earlier discussion of looking into security cameras- I would suggest this as an HOA discussion topic.

mmand2

Back to top Go down

Post  wazotinker Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:11 pm

The same thing happened in the 410 and 420 courtyard. My neighbor just told me what had happen (which made matters WORST). Our neighbor said that she was chatting with another neighbor in 410 talking about her vandalized car. We who live in this quad usually feel safe because there's no outlet. WHILE our neighbor was talking with the victim neighbor, the thief had the nerve to quickly sneak into her house, snatched the purse, and escaped through the fire escape walking in each area.... in broad daylight!! If a child or another person was *in* the house, who knows what would have happened?!!

Most of us who are close to the dumpster usually leave the front door ajar while dumping trash. I seriously caution everyone to not do that anymore. Apparently, the thief knows about the secret fire escape that leads to the streets (most residents probably didn't know we have that!)

Folks, be extra careful! Also, how much would it cost to install one way doors in those fire escape pathways? (usually hidden next to one of the inner townhouses' garage) You know, the type of doors where ... to the outside, there's no handles, but on the inside, it pushes out. examples like this: http://www.alibaba.com/product-gs/598526238/Fire_Door.html
wazotinker
wazotinker

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:18 pm

Wow! Unbelievable!

I'll let the board decide whether it makes sense to put door in those passages when the rest of the community is open but we certainly need to do something. Starting with everyone raising their sense of awareness and questioning whether someone looks like they belong there and be suspicious.
Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wazotinker Thu Jul 26, 2012 5:42 pm

Even though the rest of the community is open, they would have to WALK THOUGH in the open to get to the inner/secured courtyard -- hopefully, that would discourage "some" thieves vs the hide in the secret passage, steal, sneak back out through the passage. *shrug*

But... everyone being alert and careful + "not leave a single scrap of paper in your car" (like the posting someone did in the mail area) would go a long way. If there are nothing worth stealing, hopefully, the thieves would move on.
wazotinker
wazotinker

Back to top Go down

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards Empty Last nights board meeting

Post  Dave Thu Jul 26, 2012 7:21 pm

This was discussed last night at the board meeting. We will be officially discussing this at the next meeting as “new business.” Some of the suggestions that were talked about was hiring a security guard to possibly installing a “fence” around the property. All suggestions are welcome here on the forum.

But here are some of the facts... most of the “car break in’s” are cars that have been left unlocked! It’s still a crime to open a unlocked door and take something. No forced entry. These are generally crimes of opportunity.

My own thoughts, the thieves are some of the homeless people living next to the trail and not the construction people. But this is just my opinion.

Please join us for the meeting in August, and for now.. please keep your doors locked !

thank you

Reese
Board Member

Dave

Back to top Go down

Cars Broken into AGAIN including courtyards Empty Cars Broken Into - Security

Post  trebor Fri Jul 27, 2012 12:04 am

I think gates on all the courtyard tunnels should be considered. This also would stop the light fixtures from being vandalized and the bulbs stolen which is costly. The HOA should investigate what the cost would be to have a "gated community" with perimeter fencing between buildings. All reasonable alternatives should be considered in terms of cost with a cost to benefit analysis. Alternatives that have been discussed previously include security patrol and and camera surveillance.

The costs of gated community more than likely will be offset by the rise of property value as a result of being a "gated community". A key-card system should be an integral part that also would limit access to the pool and spas. Card privileges would be revoked as a course of action when residents break CC&Rs and HOA policies.

I would prefer a one-assessment if a "gated community" is the way to go.
trebor
trebor

Back to top Go down

Post  TD Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:58 pm

All great ideas, please let us know when and where the meeting is in Aug.

I agree, In my opinion, the thefts are related to the homeless encampment located by the creek trail across the old Cadance. For those who may not be aware it's a city. The are a number of dumpster divers from this camp who frequent our community. The Santa Clara water district has been clearing a number of homeless camps located along the trails. As it a result these camps are being pushed to the one behind us increasing the population. Does anyone know if/when the water district plans to clear the encampment behind us? Its been cleared before but populates almost immediately.

TD

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down