Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Heater Has No Heat

2 posters

Go down

Heater Has No Heat Empty Heater Has No Heat

Post  sswillow Tue Jan 06, 2015 10:53 pm

I've been trying to get my heater fixed for over 6 weeks now. It is not blowing any hot air and the yellow valve handles are in the correct position. I'm convinced it's tied to the replacement of my water heater back in June. I replaced my old Apollo with an AO Smith water heater. We didn't test the heater at that time, just assumed it would work. I hired American HVAC given their experience with our systems. They replaced the pump, still no heat. Not sure my pump was even bad in the first place, but it was 20 years old, so guess that's okay. Since then, they have spent numerous hours trying various things including reconfiguring some pipes connected to the water heater.

Has anyone had any issues with their heater?

sswillow

Back to top Go down

Heater Has No Heat Empty Re: Heater Has No Heat

Post  sswillow Sun Mar 22, 2015 11:24 am

Just want to post an update in case anyone ever has this issue in the future. After countless hours and multiple companies, turned out it was the pump all along. The first company damaged the first replacement pump during installation. Because the space is so small, the torch ended up burning the plastic inside the pump. We learned that when replacing the pump there is no need to cut the pump out. Cutting the pump out just makes a ton of more work including having to weld/solder new connections. All you have to do is remove 4 hex bolts on the pump's case and just swap out the old pump guts for the new ones. It really is that easy.

sswillow

Back to top Go down

Post  john Tue Apr 21, 2015 12:57 pm

Thanks for sharing the experience.  Is there a part#/model# to order for the swap of the guts of the water pump?  It would save lots of money if this can be DIY. And what is the company name that eventually fixed it correctly?

john

Back to top Go down

Post  sswillow Wed Apr 22, 2015 10:14 pm

The part number for the pump in my heating unit is Grundfos UP15-42B5 59896145 1/25 HP 115V Circulating Pump. I purchased it from PlumbersStock.com and it took over 3 weeks to get. Buying it online cost me $225. If a plumbing company were to sell it to me as part of the job, it was a $750 part.

In the end, the company that cleaned up the mess, put the pipes back to how they should be was Bay Area Plumbing and Heating, baph.com. They were a little hard to get to come to San Jose, but I was patient. They were also expensive, but I knew that going in. I wanted the job done correctly. In the end, it was around $1,300 for the labor. We did tell the person who did the final pump work to take the guts out of the new pump, install the empty shell with the torch, then put the guts back in. We had to show him how, so we didn't have a repeat burning up of the new pump. The small space was not something he had dealt with.

sswillow

Back to top Go down

Post  john Thu Apr 23, 2015 12:55 am

Thanks for the info.  A few years ago my heater also did not have heat.  The repairman diagnosed it as faulty relay and thermostat, and it has been working since the parts were replaced.  One thing to watch out for is sediments from water heater, which may damage water pump.  Also, if the water heater side connections to recirculating loops are impeded(e.g. by corrosion), the water flow to and from the air handler can be impeded.

john

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down