Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fraudulent police calls hurt us all

Go down

Fraudulent police calls hurt us all Empty Fraudulent police calls hurt us all

Post  H. Tue Feb 16, 2010 11:52 pm

Several months ago, I was puttering about in my garage when I received a visit from the police. The officer looked in and asked me if I lived here. I told him I did, and he asked how long I'd lived here. "Since 1996," I said.

"Well, that's odd. We got a call that someone was in this garage, and the caller didn't recognize the individual and thought perhaps there was a burglary in progress."

"That's ridiculous! I've lived here for years; everyone knows me."

"Do you have ID?"

I did, and handed it over (unlike Professor Gates, who'd been in the news a few days earlier). The officer thanked me and left.

I expect someone had a little fun at my expense, but what they may not have realized is this: When people are thinking of buying a place, they often check police activity. SJPD publish theirs, so it's easy to find. If a prospective buyer checks and finds a lot of police activity, they're not going to dig into it; they'll just take their money elsewhere.

So if you're thinking of playing a practical joke on someone by calling the police, or if you call the police as a first line of action whenever there's a problem, or if you call the police with a false report, think about this: You're wasting the time of people who are putting their lives on the line to keep us safe, you may be committing a crime, you're lowering the value of your own property and that of your neighbors, and you're probably creating a bigger disturbance than the one you're complaining about - they always send two cruisers, and some of those guys are *loud*.

If someone's being too noisy, or if they've got a light on you'd rather have off - do us all a favor. Walk across the courtyard and ring their doorbell and ask nicely (and quietly) for whatever it is you want; you'll probably get it. If you scream obscenities, leave notes on people's doors, complain to Peachtree, or call the police - your neighbor is less likely to have any incentive to do what you want, and very likely to do things you don't like and to regard you as a mean, nasty person who's best ignored. And then there's karma..... it will come back and bite you in the ass, every time.

Think about it.

Helen

H.

Back to top Go down