Rodent bait

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Rodent bait

Post  H. on Sat Mar 21, 2009 7:42 pm

I noticed a big plastic thing in the landscaping near my unit that was labeled "Rodent bait" and had the legend, "Do not touch". There's a hole on the side, presumably for entrance.

Are these killing traps, or are they poison?

I'm particularly concerned about poison. The animal that ingests the poison may be a small pet that got out, or it may be eaten by a pet who is thereby also poisoned. The poison causes illness and suffering to the animal before it dies. And it will crawl away to die in some hidden place, likely inside the walls. Result: a very bad smell.

If they are killing traps, is this really necessary? A small pet could be trapped and killed, for one thing. If they kill, so they do so quickly, or is the animal trapped in glue - to die of hunger and thirst, possibly after gnawing off a foot (in which case they'll crawl away and die of infection in some hidden place).

Would it be feasible to use humane traps to catch the animals, which could then be released out by the creek or in the woods?

I recently found an orphaned baby rat while cleaning off my deck, so young his eyes were still closed. Butch is nearly two months old now, and I'm considering releasing him in a place where he will be happy. He's made some rather definite indications that he doesn't want to be caged. I figured on releasing him out in the woods someplace, but if he should fall victim to an exterminator, I wouldn't want him to suffer or be terrified.

Rats actually make very wonderful pets, but this little guy is not a domesticated rat (despite having been bottle-fed by a human). So I think he will be happier in the wild, even though he will probably not have as long a life.

Yes, I am an old softie. I just couldn't leave the poor little fellow out there in the cold after I'd destroyed his nest.

Helen Woodson

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

rodent bait

Post  terrychr on Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:46 pm

Those have been around most of the courtyards for years.

terrychr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Rodent bait

Post  H. on Sun Mar 22, 2009 2:30 pm

I never noticed them before.

But what are they? If they are poison or glue traps, I would like us to consider changing to something that won't cause needless suffering.

Helen

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Sun Mar 22, 2009 6:20 pm

Sorry, I personally wasn't aware of them. I do know we pay an exterminator monthly and at some point certain residents were complaining about rodents so the HOA asked the exterminator to "take care" of it but I don't know what he used.

building #475
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  H. on Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:45 pm

Tom, would you be able to find out what method the exterminator is using?

Thanks,

Helen

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Mon Mar 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Helen Woodson wrote:Tom, would you be able to find out what method the exterminator is using?

Thanks,

Helen

I'll ask Peachtree to find out.

building #475
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. on Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:04 pm

Thank you, Tom

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  H. on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:27 am

Any word from Peachtree on this?

I picked up that black thing and shook it a bit. Eww! Something was in there! Something sort of soft.

I put it down really, really fast. Fortunately, I've had a cold and can't smell a thing.

It's got two openings in it, about the right size for a rat. I think it's poison, but then why would a rat stay in there to die? They usually go hide somewhere (like in your walls) to die, or else go looking for water.

Helen

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Mar 26, 2009 3:37 am

No, I haven't received a response yet. I'm actually trying to schedule a conference call with Peachtree tomorrow, so if it happens I'll remind our property manager.

building #475
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. on Wed Jul 29, 2009 10:27 pm

Helen Woodson wrote:Tom, would you be able to find out what method the exterminator is using?

Thanks,

Helen

I asked some time ago about the black plastic things in the landscaping labeled "Rodent bait - do not touch".

Are these poison or killing traps? I picked one up and shook it; there appreared to be a corpse inside. So I put it down but didn't put the stake back into the ground to hold it in place. It stayed like that for weeks; apparently the exterminator doesn't check them but just allows the corpses to decompose.

In the meantime, if I left the deck door open for a little while, my place would be invaded by flies that were so big they lumbered around like C-130's. It's not hard to figure out how they got so big.

I don't think it's a good idea to use poison. A pet or a child might get into it, or a pet might catch and eat a poisoned rat or mouse. Also, these animals are sentient, intelligent beings. I have two pet rats, one of them an orphaned wild rat. They can learn to use a litter box, come when called, perform tricks - and they have considerable problem-solving ability.

If it is really necessary to kill rats, it should be done humanely, without needless pain and suffering - not by a poison that leaves the animal sick and suffering for hours or days; and not by a glue trap that causes death by dehydration, starvation, or infection when the animal chews off a foot in an effort to escape.

Helen

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:58 am

Hi Helen,

I'm sorry, I received a response from Peachtree a few weeks ago and totally forgot about posting it.

The short answer is that the traps are poison.

I must admit, I'm not a rat enthusiast so I don't have an opinion about what the exterminator uses. I can forward your request to Peachtree and see what the exterminator says about options and cost.

building #475
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  H. on Sat Aug 01, 2009 5:45 am

Admin wrote:Hi Helen,

I'm sorry, I received a response from Peachtree a few weeks ago and totally forgot about posting it.

The short answer is that the traps are poison.

I must admit, I'm not a rat enthusiast so I don't have an opinion about what the exterminator uses. I can forward your request to Peachtree and see what the exterminator says about options and cost.

Hi, Tom,

Oh, no problem! I'm getting a bit forgetful myself - I once spent a quarter of an hour looking all over the house for my car keys, only to find them in my left hand.

Poison - I was afraid of that. How awful! However, usually when poison is used, the animal doesn't die on the spot. It staggers around very sick for hours or days. These things must have poison plus a one-way door so the animal can't get out. It's black plastic, so the temperatures must be very high inside. The animal spends its last hours sick, in unbearable heat, with no water.

That's probably what happened to Butch's mother. If I hadn't found this tiny, week-old squeaking thing, she'd have died of exposure or starvation. Lucky for Butch and for me that I found her.

It's just inhumane and wrong. Whatever is used, though, the corpses shouldn't be left to decompose.

You say you're not a rat enthusiast - few people are if they haven't actually met and interacted with a rat. Once you do, the idea of causing them to suffer becomes as unthinkable as causing a dog or cat to suffer. I'll challenge you (or anyone else who cares to) to come and meet Butch and Angel, my little pocket-sized pets. Just watch them for awhile and you'll see what I mean. They're probably at least as smart as a dog or a cat. They're affectionate and playful, and they show considerable problem-solving ability. And they don't bark or claw at the furniture or demand to be taken out. They can even learn to use a litter box. They're at least as fastidious about personal grooming as a cat - constantly washing themselves. In short, they are wonderful, low-maintenance pets and great entertainment.

I can understand why people wouldn't want rats running around the complex - although they probably do not harm. But why not use humane live traps and take them out to the creek or the woods and release them? They have their place in the ecosystem.

Helen

H.

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Annie on Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:55 pm

I actually had a mouse in my unit two years ago and went through quite a bit of distress to get rid of it and clean up the place after that. I would have to disagree that rodents do no harm. They are known to carry lots of diseases. IMHO I don't care what way they use to get rid of them as long as it is effective.

Annie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top