Villagio
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Water Leak Help (experience/advice)??

2 posters

Go down

Water Leak Help (experience/advice)?? Empty Water Leak Help (experience/advice)??

Post  wazotinker Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

I'm wondering if anyone has experiences with this:

Scenario:
Our wonderful neighbor on the 2nd floor noticed a wet ceiling in the bathroom directly above their toilet. They came and asked us (on the 3rd floor) if we're leaking water. After carefully checking our floors and pipes, we're not seeing any leaks in our bathroom. In fact, we like to keep our floors dry.

This must be some pipes between 2nd and 3rd floor that's causing this.

Question:
Does anyone know if HOA would take care of this? If not, how do we chase down where this is coming from? Since we're not leaking from our bathroom and they're seeing leakage on their ceiling -- both families are at a tail spin here.

If someone has experiences (and recommendations) please leave notes! We would like to get this resolved ASAP. Thanks!
wazotinker
wazotinker

Back to top Go down

Water Leak Help (experience/advice)?? Empty Re: Water Leak Help (experience/advice)??

Post  Admin Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:50 am

The HOA meaning all of us, will pay for the repair if it's a leak from an interior wall. However, in 95% of the times it turns out that's it was a preventable leak from within the units. Water leaks don't always manifest directly below the source. Sometimes they travel a bit. One of the spots that has come up more often is the caulking around the tub and/or faucets in the tub.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Water Leak Help (experience/advice)?? Empty Re: Water Leak Help (experience/advice)??

Post  wazotinker Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:21 pm

Admin wrote:The HOA meaning all of us, will pay for the repair if it's a leak from an interior wall. However, in 95% of the times it turns out that's it was a preventable leak from within the units. Water leaks don't always manifest directly below the source. Sometimes they travel a bit. One of the spots that has come up more often is the caulking around the tub and/or faucets in the tub.

Thanks for the tip!

Question: How do I check/determine if faulty caulking is indeed the problem? what I meant is, what should I be looking for? Another thought is: what you're saying is --> any bad caulking around the top of tub/faucets in the tub would cause leaks to the neighbor below? (for example, the glass sliding door -- the area that meets the glass door rail and the tub; between the tub and the wall?)

But... *IF* all the caulking are good -- the ultimate question is -- who is responsible for piping leaks between 2nd floor and 3rd floor? Would it be owner's problem or would this be HOA's responsibility (thinking about the worst case here) -- I hope the solution is as simple as bad caulking.
wazotinker
wazotinker

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:54 pm

If the leak is from a pipe within the wall then the HOA will cover the costs to repair.

So I don't know what your bathroom layout it, so here's some general tips that I can think of.

I would first look at the caulk around the knobs and faucet in the tub and in the seams where the tub meets the shower walls. If the caulk is peeling, cracking or missing then that is a red flag. I would caulk that first before taking any other action in order to eliminate each potential source at a time.

I would also check whether the toilet is seated properly and has no lateral motion.

Those have been the 2 main culprits from my experience.

If you feel you've done the due diligence and the neighbor downstairs still see's a leak, I would then call Peachtree and ask for them to send a vendor to try and identify the leak source.

Admin
Admin
Admin

https://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  wazotinker Thu Feb 10, 2011 7:46 pm

GREAT! Thanks again, I'll check that and hope the culprit is caulking like you said.
wazotinker
wazotinker

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down