Speeding in the complex

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Speeding in the complex

Post  TD on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:12 pm

I would like to remind the community and their guests to pay attention to the speed limit and stop signs. Today both my dog and myself were nearly hit by a hybrid that appeared from nowhere traveling at an excessive speed. While I try to always pay attention to the speeding cars in our complex hybrids are not always heard. We have a number of families with small children who play and ride bikes in the street, please be respectful, drive carefully and save the speeding for the freeway.

TD

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Speeding in the complex

Post  Admin on Sat Oct 24, 2009 8:26 pm

Thanks for the reminder. I need to follow up on Peachtree to se what is up with the new signs about speeding and children at play, etc.
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sswillow on Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:38 pm

In turn, I think that parents with kids need to make sure their kids are playing safely in courtyards. I turned left at the end of my courtyard to go into my garage and was startled by a little girl playing right in the middle of where my car was headed in front of my garage. The cars parked in the courtyard were all tall and I could not see anything until I came left around the tree. I typically approach slowly because my neighbor has 2 kids, but they tend to play in the corner. This was a kid from the other side of the courtyard. Just scary because there are people that come into courtyards that are unfamiliar with the residents. Playing in the courtyards should not be taken for granted that they are as safe as a front yard.

sswillow

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  lad1ljc on Tue Oct 27, 2009 2:18 pm

I've also observe children riding bikes or skating in the court yard or streets as if these are park playgrounds (and sometime even with parental supervision!!). It seems such a dangerous thing to do, speeding or not cars turning corners just can't see quickly enough when bikes are flying around (do you think children can always restrain themselves from riding too fast, even with parents watching?).

Does the HOA possibly have any liability issue here? Should the HOA preventatively issue a clear policy forbidding bike riding and skating in the courtyard and streets?

lad1ljc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Oct 27, 2009 10:37 pm

lad1ljc wrote:I've also observe children riding bikes or skating in the court yard or streets as if these are park playgrounds (and sometime even with parental supervision!!). It seems such a dangerous thing to do, speeding or not cars turning corners just can't see quickly enough when bikes are flying around (do you think children can always restrain themselves from riding too fast, even with parents watching?).

Does the HOA possibly have any liability issue here? Should the HOA preventatively issue a clear policy forbidding bike riding and skating in the courtyard and streets?

We probably didn't have any liability until the issue was brought up and the question was asked. I will now have to bring it up to the board, get peachtree and potentially our attorney to give us guidance and get charged $. Children, prepare to be banned from the complex. scratch

30 years ago this wouldn't even be brought up...Now it's straight to lawsuits and liability. Awesome.... Suspect
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  AlexB on Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:38 am

30 years ago this wouldn't even be brought up...Now it's straight to lawsuits and liability. Awesome.... Suspect[/quote]

I'm not sure where all the speeding problems are mostly occuring, but if they are at the entrance T Intersection (by the pool), should the board look at the possibility of making this a 3 way stop intersection? A couple stop signs are pretty cheap, and people usually at least slow down to yield speeds in the presence of a stop sign...most of the time. It also tends to minimize other issues, like who goes first.

This may have been brought up and rejected for other reasons before, that I'm not thinking of, though.

AlexB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Wed Oct 28, 2009 12:56 pm

From my understanding the speeding seems to be happening inside the complex. We are addressing the issue by creating new signs that will be posted in a few locations. It's now been 3 or more months and we're still waiting for these signs. They better be amazing, considering the time it takes to make them and install them.

I think the entrance is a different issue. Lots of people seem to drive right through the stop sign. Perhaps we need to paint a white stripe on the ground to make it more obvious. We asked for Peachtree to research speed bump options for the entrance but I haven't heard anything about that lately. I'll make sure to ask in the next meeting.

building #475
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  lad1ljc on Fri Oct 30, 2009 1:20 am

Admin wrote:
lad1ljc wrote:I've also observe children riding bikes or skating in the court yard or streets as if these are park playgrounds (and sometime even with parental supervision!!). It seems such a dangerous thing to do, speeding or not cars turning corners just can't see quickly enough when bikes are flying around (do you think children can always restrain themselves from riding too fast, even with parents watching?).

We probably didn't have any liability until the issue was brought up and the question was asked. I will now have to bring it up to the board, get peachtree and potentially our attorney to give us guidance and get charged $. Children, prepare to be banned from the complex. scratch

30 years ago this wouldn't even be brought up...Now it's straight to lawsuits and liability. Awesome.... Suspect

Did you actually mean that just because I asked the question and suddenly HOA has the liability ? Please explain why this is so, I'm curious to know why. It's certainly not my intention to make HOA liable.

lad1ljc

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Admin on Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:32 pm

PM sent
Admin
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content