Hot water valves and the AC funtion

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Post  Italia on Tue May 19, 2009 3:25 pm

I had an AC repairman in and found out why for 3 years my AC did not cool my unit.
The setup at least for the lower units with water heater and AC units in the garage is this. I'm not sure how the setup is for upper units with water heater and cooling systems in the attics.

You must turn the valves/handles (they usually have a yellow handle with on and off on them with an arrow showing which position is which) to the OFF position for the warm months. There should be two of these handles. The handles should be sticking straight out to the side. This keeps the hot water from running through the cooling system making it impossible for the cooling system to cool the unit. Only when the hot water is shut off from going through the cooling system can is function properly and cool the unit.

I wish I had been told this when I moved in as I went through 3 summers of useless AC. Any owner who sells or rents should inform the occupant of this necessary seasonal change. For cool season of course you need to put the handles back up to the ON position.

Italia

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  trebor on Tue May 19, 2009 4:45 pm

I have a 3-Bedroom unit and just had my water heater replaced. The installer was not very familiar with our particular re-heat system. He did say that it made sense to him to close the valves to get the greatest efficiency from our AC. I then called Apollo headquarters and they advised that most "plumbers" would not be familiar with our system. They did say that that the valves should be on the "off" position for maximum cooling. Most HVAC types would know this but not the plumbers who typically are called to replace our water heaters. Jean Marlowe provided the same information several times now.

I doubt if Peachtree is aware of this because I have never seen anything on the subject in HOA newsletter or any other kind of posting from Peachtree. Hopefully, this information will be made to all homeowners, since not everyone subscribes to this forum or the Viallagio Yahoo Group. It should be a seasonal reminder twice a year.
If you don't remember to turn the valves back to the "On" position in the Winter you won't have heat.
trebor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Hot H2O Valves and AC Function

Post  bradham on Tue May 19, 2009 8:22 pm

I will be curious to hear feedback on how turns-out with switching the valves, once for AC, once for Heat. How cool your
home will be this summer. I have an APOLLO 5010 Hot water tank, original unit, for reference.

My HVAC mechanic, Mr. Dewayne Long, Thermal Mechanical, Santa Clara, CA95054, advised me to LEAVE BOTH VALVES, in the 'ON'
position, 24/7/365. My experience during last weeks mini heatwave, our townehome (tri-level), was cooled in less than 20 minutes.
Last winter, our home warmed quickly, with warm air coming from the vents, on all levels! I used to do the switch too, and always wondered why the airvents put-out cool air for heating, and why it took so long to cool the townehome during the summer. I have a diagram that Mr. Long drew, that might clarify. You might have a 'diffrent' set-up as we do, so this might not apply. Good Luck!

bradham

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Hot water valves and the AC funtion

Post  Admin on Wed May 20, 2009 12:43 pm

This will be the first summer where I have both handles in the off position. During the little heat wave my system was able to lower the interior temperature by 6 degrees within about 2 hours (from 85 to 79) , which is better than usual. Usually it struggled to change the temperature by more than 2 degrees once it got over 82 degrees inside.

building #475
Admin
Admin

View user profile http://villagiohoa.forumakers.com

Back to top Go down

Post  stuttgart on Wed May 20, 2009 1:46 pm

Thanks for the info. I will check mine when I go home tonight....
stuttgart

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top